Sunday, June 23

It's about to get Personal Part III

February 9, 2013

The day after I wrote It's About to get Personal II everything changed.  And it got real personal.

I met Scott over a year ago through friends and I saw him out often.  We have the same friends, go to the same bars, and once summer hit he was a regular at our pool.  He's constantly making me laugh and I've never felt so comfortable around someone.  I wrote It's about to get Personal II on a Thursday; the next night I found myself out with Scott and halfway through the evening he kissed me.  That was 6 months ago and we have been inseparable ever since.

A lot has happened to me physically and mentally in the past 6 months.  I was go go go, party party party up until Labor Day.  My energy and momentum started slipping.  I was getting sicker and exhaustion was kicking in.  The chemo really began to take a toll on me.  But Scott didn't seem to notice, or if he did he didn't mind one bit.  He even admitted it was nice to get out of the bar and spend the evening on the couch.  Yup, coupledom hit us hard.  It was so easy with him.  He already knew my humongous secret as well as my way of dealing with it - pretending it's not there.  At my birthday when I got really sick and tried to push through he knew better and was the one who took me home.  After treatments he was waiting with arms open as I collapsed from exhaustion.  When I wasn't feeling well I never once had to ask him to do something for me; he had already offered.  The cancer doesn't push him away.  He was also the one in the doctor's room with me and Krissy when we got the final doctor's report that my post-treatment scans were clear.  Because it was important to him to be there for me.  The energy in my personality (because there was none in my body!) and my high spirits made him a believer in me. 

I'm still tired (although getting better at that!), I still wish I had a had the home and lifestyle I had expected by 30, but somehow all of that doesn't seem like as big of a deal. When I'm with him I forget about the worries and stresses cancer has left me with.  I'm reminded of the greatness cancer has created within me.  I'm wrapped up in the fun of life, living in the present and enjoying everyday as it comes.  It's exactly what I was doing before, just at a slower pace and with someone I love by my side.

The only scary part about dating someone seriously is now if something were to come back, I'd be dragging him into it as well.  He reminds me that's crazy talk and we're enjoying life one day at a time, not worrying about the future.  He's a good reminder to keep around :).


No comments:

Post a Comment