Sunday, June 10

Downhill!

It's all downhill from here - 9 cycles done, only 7 more to go!  I wrapped up Cycle #9 on Wednesday, May 30th. 

Krissy called me Tuesday as I was making my meals for the next 48 hours to inform me that she had a high school graduation to attend Wednesday evening... during treatment.  But being the awesome caregiver she is, she already took care of logistics and had Amy joining us for treatment so she could leave early.

When Krissy picked me up we were both in one of those moods - leaving work was very inconvenient for both of us and we had zero interest in sitting around Siteman.  But like the troopers we are we sucked it up and made the best of it.  Labs were quick although we learned my neutrophil count (the white blood cells that keep me healthy) are annoyingly low again.  Then we waited for the doc.  And waited.  And waited to the point that we were the last people in the waiting room and they were turning out the lights.  Yup, the receptionist forgot about us!  To her credit she thought we were waiting for a patient who was currently seeing the doc because by the look of two young girls one of us couldn't possibly have cancer.  Lesson learned - never judge a book by the cover.  And to her credit she doesn't usually work at that desk and did not recognize us.

We went right in to see my doc who was as upbeat and cheerful as always.  My docs are very happy with my progress still.  As soon as my resident walked in the door starting with her usual chit chat I IMMEDIATELY asked, "How were the scans?!"  I was not interested in going through the same thing as last time, casual discussion about my health sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for earth shattering news.  My resident beamed her reassuring smile, "Still gone!"  Ahhhh, music to my ears :).

We touched base about my neuropathy - still not bad enough to lower my chemo dosage, although it is getting worse.  It's in the tips of my fingers and the bottoms of my feet.  I've learned how to function in life without it interrupting my day-to-day tasks for the most part.  Although it is very strange to get up in the morning and put my feet on carpet and feel nothing.  At least it's not pain or hair loss, I can handle this.

They also started me on new pre-drugs.  I switched to a new anti-nausea which lasted longer this time (through Saturday) and worked better.  And it was a 30 second push instead of a 30 minute bag which is very time convenient.  Especially since we got a late start with my iv.  It took 3 nurses and 3 blown veins until they got one that worked.  My veins are really starting to feel the effects from the chemo and are struggling.  By the third blown vein I was actually in tears.  It hurts SO bad to have a needle sliding around under your skin only to pop the vein because it's not strong enough for an iv.

When we left I was only feeling a bit wishy-washy and weak in the knees.  I liked the new pre-drugs, it definitely helped with the nausea.  But after arriving home that soon changed!  Maybe I was using more energy than I had (although really, how much energy does it take to heat up left-overs?) because I found myself running to the bathroom to praise the porcelain.  Funny, all I needed to do was lay down on the floor to feel fine again.  Lesson learned, no stopping by the kitchen next time, straight to bed for me!

The hangover was pretty bad this past time, but on the upside not long at all!  I was feeling myself again by Friday night and was back to normal by the weekend, Hooray!  

No comments:

Post a Comment