Thursday, August 2

Cycles 11 & 12

I ONLY HAVE 4 LEFT!! 444444444444444444!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sooooo looking forward to October 31st.  Seriously, the happiest day EVER!  I get to ring the bell!!  I remember this time last year writing about wishing I knew where that light at the end of the tunnel was hiding out.  Well it's looking pretty bright these days :).  I'm not sure you realize how excited I am here... I am going to be done with cancer FOREVER!!!  I'm getting teary eyed right now just thinking about it.


So here's the plan:
I have four treatments left (in case you didn't gather that already).  The last treatment will be on the last day of October.  I will also do scans on my last treatment.  Not because we are worried about the tumors, but because it's protocol.  Then 6 months after my last treatment I will do scans again.  But this time yes, it's because we're all going to be on the edge of our seats wondering if this chemo really worked.  My oncologist says she's keeping her fingers crossed.  I shouldn't complain about this drug, it has saved my life.  But it would be nice if there was some actual research on it!  We're all pretty much blind here - no idea what to expect for my future.  I say that it's not going to come back.  I'm pushing for the power of positive thinking.  Let's hope my brain can outsmart my tumors.

Cycle 11 (July 11th):
Katie was in town for the week during treatment so I invited her along to be my caregiver for the day.  (And it would be nice to give Krissy a break.)  Katie was delighted to join me for an evening at Siteman so Krissy filled her in on my two high maintenance needs: snacks and a good story.  Well instead of a good story she one-uped it - she brought an entire notebook of stories.  Our high school notebook to be exact.  Katie followed me around as we ventured to labs, the doctor's office, and treatment.  I'm not sure if I've ever laughed as much during treatment as I did that Wednesday.  Although growing up 3 houses apart, Katie and I went to different middle and high schools.  Before texting was around, we communicated through a notebook.  We would take turns writing in it and passing it back and forth.  Let me tell you - it was a laugh-so-hard-you're-crying kind of a read.  The nurses all got in on it and were reading some of the notes with us.  It made the needle and chemo pain almost disappear.  Good find Katie!
VERY entertained with my 15 year old reading material!


Once again my doctor appointment revolved more around my dating life and summer plans than it did my current health.  She's so funny (my oncologist that is) - she's all smiles and laughs when we talk about me, but when I bring up the neuropathy or any ailments it's straight-faced, serious time.  She's pretty awesome :).

The pre-drugs are seriously kick-ass and I really don't feel that bad.  Tired but not bad.  I stayed in bed all day Thursday but was up and at 'em on Friday!  Friday was just lunch with Steph and Aunt Ronna followed by some easy babysitting.  But it was still an early bed time for me!  Then Saturday was filled with a BLUSH event, Kelly's Surprise 30th, and then Sunday was  Toni's bridal shower I was throwing.  And this is the first time I've really sat since!!  (The plane ride to and from Colorado doesn't count!).  One thing about cycle 10 was that my neuropathy really got to me - the pain was at an all time worse.  But then Cycle 11 nothing... I just don't get this drug!  But I guess I don't have to get it if it's saving my life!


Cycle 12 (August 1st): 
Krissy and I were both unprepared for this treatment.  As I just wrote, I last minutely did laundry, grocery shopping, cleaning and cooking for my days to be spent recovering.  Krissy had meetings scheduled for yesterday so luckily Amy has yet to return to school so she graciously joined me for the afternoon.

Typically I have my 4:00 labs and 5:00 doctor appointment set as standard, but this time it was not scheduled by my regular nurse and I had an early afternoon appointment.  I didn't really mind because there are so many staff members around Siteman that I don't often get to see anymore now that I come after 4:00.  My lab tech was sweet and went on about how it's so hard to believe I'm "sick".  She says by looking at me and how bubbly I am you could never tell I have cancer.  I must be really good if I can even trick the Siteman staff!!

During my appointment my doc is still very pleased with my status.  Still feeling great!  While talking about my cough I filled her in on my horrible breathing while in Colorado; I could feel my lungs' weakness.  When I told her how I use to never be bothered by Colorado air in my early 20s she responded with a smirk, "You're also showing your age." I was completely taken back! "Dr. Bartlett, that is one of the most horrible things you have ever said to me!  And you have told me some of the worst news of my life!!" 

Sporting the new colored tape!! 


Amy gets nervous during treatment because I require a story to be told when I get stabbed with the needle and it swims around looking for a vein.  It's a nice distraction.  So Amy was prepared, she had been holding back on a story for me just for this moment - she had the story of all stories.  (And she's probably reading this right now freaking out I'm about to tell her story!  No worries Amy, my lips are sealed :).  My chemo nurse stopped and got nervous at my jumpiness, but I calmed down and my chemo nurse just laughed as Amy and I discussed the woes of dating.

Recovery this time has once again been a piece of cake.  I think if I tried I could actually go to work tomorrow!  But I'm going to rest up just in case and save that decision for next time.  I've been in bed for a good 24 hours now.  If it wasn't for a toilet, fridge, microwave, and water supply I'd never have to leave :).  Sheila and Maaria came by with Pasta House last night that has kept me a happy fat girl all day!  It's funny, I've laid in bed alllll day but I'm feeling pretty tired and ready to roll over and get some more shut eye.  Crazy, huh?  Either I'm really getting use to feeling like crap or I am getting excited that I'm almost done feeling like crap; I'm getting pretty good at this whole treatment thing.  Now only 4 more days of feeling like crap.... it's so close!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment