Thursday, March 22

Living Everyday to the Fullest

Today was wonderful for 2 reasons.  Reason #1 - gorgeous weather.  Reason #2 - reason #1 made for great nappers at school today!  While they rested, I sat outside in my rocker on the porch taking a much needed break... and working on my laptop.  I was soaking in the rays feeling my eyes grow heavy as I worked away.  I found myself staring out into the school yard reflecting on the calmness that surrounded me.  I set my computer down, curled up in a ball, and closed my eyes.  I drifted off imagining myself as a cat soaking in the warmth from the sun.  It was only twenty minutes, but it was an amazing twenty minutes.  As I could feel myself drifting into the nap, I was thinking to myself, 'How many people can say they took a nap in the sun at work today?'  (now granted, yes I was at work, but technically I was taking my break).  It was only twenty minutes because my phone that was in my lap vibrated from a text (and half startled me!).  It was from a friend who shared with me, "So I just found out that a guy I went to high school with is really sick and probably not going to make it.  Really makes you want to live every day to the fullest." 

I read this again and thought, "Duh?".  Then I remembered, not everyone acknowledges this.  And it's not that people don't live life to the fullest, but how many go out of their way to make sure everyday isn't taken for granted?  As I sit here and reflect on my day, I debate if mine was truly lived to the fullest: Eight hours of school, 1 hour of after-school meeting, 1 hour of dinner & tv, 30 minutes of talking on the phone, 30 minutes of catching up on emails, and that leaves me sitting here reflecting.... what did I do today to live it to the fullest?  And I'm realizing, I didn't DO anything unoriginal or spectacular.  I replied to my friend, "It's not just how you live everyday, but what you gain from it that makes living everyday to the fullest.  It's different for everyone."

That 20 minute sun-kissed nap was my "living in the moment" experience today.  It's nothing special on paper, but it sure did make me feel like I was living my day to the fullest.  In the past 30 days I haven't journeyed to any exotic countries, dined at any fine restaurants, met any famous people, or experienced any memory-making adventures.  Does that mean I'm not living my days to their fullest potential?  Perhaps.  But that's not reality either.  My reality is fairly simple.  But it's MY reality, and I have the option to view it as ordinary or life-fulfilling.  You can probably guess which option I choose daily.  And I hope you do, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment