Friday, May 4

SURPRISE!! we (heart) melrose

I blame it on the chemo - I am no longer clever.  I use to ALWAYS catch on to secrets.  I could easily guess my presents as a kid.  I could always tell when someone has something up their sleeve.  But now I am blind as a bat to anything and everything that has been pleasantly sprung on me.

My sister asked me earlier this week to have din with her on Thursday because she found a recipe she was wanting to try out.  I already committed to my Pilates class last night.  She said she might bring by leftovers then later that night.  Sound sneaky to you?  I didn't think so either.  So I'm driving home from the gym last night thrilled that the sun is still up and going over all of the productive things I wanted to do before bed.  Krissy texted - she was gonna stop by.  Amy called on  my way home too, but I missed it with my windows down and music blaring.  I was home not even 10 minutes when Krissy arrived... with Amy.  And Blair.  Hmmmmmm.  WELL, Krissy picked up a skirt of mine after work yesterday from our seamstress that Amy is going to borrow for her birthday this weekend.  I assumed they had chatted and my place was the meeting spot for her to get the skirt.  And Blair?  I just figured she had been chilling with Krissy and her new recipe.  So off to my room Amy and I went to check out the skirt while Krissy and Blair made their dinner plates (slightly annoyed that they were all going to have dinner when I had already eaten and wanted to get some stuff done!).

Now a little back story on "the hood".....  Krissy and I grew up next door to the Finglands.  Blair (Krissy's age), Bryan (my age), and Brad (two years older).  Then a couple houses in the other direction lived Katie (mine and Bryan's age).  Amy lived at the top of the street (also my age).  And there have been many-o-neighbors who have come and gone over the past couple decades in our neighborhood.  Towards the end of high school the Seuc's (honorary neighborhood friends) joined the hood.  Marissa is the same age as Krissy and Blair.  Jason is Brad's age.  And Tyler is the youngest graduating college this month!  Now if Bryan were telling the story he would just say we are all family friends.  But it's more than just that - we are a very complex family of best friends.  Growing up, Krissy and Blair were inseparable (and crazy annoying, too!).  And although Katie and Amy went to private school while Bryan and I attended public, Katie, Amy, and I were also inseparable.  Katie has been my longest friend in life, going on 21 years.  To me, Katie and Amy are not friends, they are family.  We might not see each other often, but no matter where we are, they are home.   

So back to last night.... Amy headed back to the living room while I stopped by the kitchen mentioning to the roommates that I had plans for the evening; I wasn't expecting my entourage to hang out on the couch.  I sat next to Blair who was snorting (her form of laughing) at the computer to find Katie (who lives in Denver with now husband and hood member, Bryan) on Skype.  Then I realized they all just didn't happen to show up at the same time at my place... something was going on!!

Krissy calmed down Blair's snorts and gathered us all to the big couch with Katie (the computer) on my lap.  First, I was presented with a t-shirt (pretty freaking cool!) designed by Katie (btw, she's an art teacher.  Amy, math teacher.  Me, preschool teacher.  Funny how we all grew up to be in the same profession, just with our own twist!).  Then there was a video.  About 11 years ago my father drove the 5 of us girls to our family vacation spot, Holden Beach, NC.  The video started with ooooold school songs from a cd we made for that trip.  The video (created by my sister) was of pictures highlighting trips we ventured on together as well as moments from growing up together.  I was laughing and crying at the memories as the pictures faded in and out.  But then pictures of Austin, Texas begain to appear and I became very confused as to why... we have never been there.  So after being laughed at and a few eyes rolled, Krissy restarted the video and demanded that I stop just looking at the pics and read the captions!  Oopsie.  After another view, I have learned that the Carman Kids (yup, we named ourselves long ago like the dorks we really are) are going to Austin to celebrate me being tumor-free.  HOLLA!!


Check out the video Krissy created.  Slightly hysterical, rather embarrassing, and absolutely amazing.  I love you guys!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment