Monday, August 8

PET Scan, Round Two

Wrapping up four months on the chemo pill... Wow!  I had my bi-monthly scan this morning to monitor the tumors.  Cross your fingers for more shrinking!!

I like being the first appointment for the day - I HATE having to fast during the middle of the day.  I woke up at 5:21, one minute after my alarm was SUPPOSE to go off.  I rechecked it umpteen times, still confused why it did not go off.  Apparently my subconscious was aware of the issue and woke me up on time - thank goodness!  

I was greeted with familiar faces upon my arrival, and my check-in process to Nuclear Medicine has become a breeze.  I've always been a familiar face to them over the years, but now I've just become a regular.  Not exactly the coolest place to be a regular at, but it's comforting to be greeted by those I know.  

My radiology tech I have been a patient with since I first started treatment at Barnes 7 years ago.  She didn't recognize me with my long hair at first!  I also haven't seen her the past few times I've been scanned so it was nice to chit chat with her.  She was disappointed in my veins - I've always had excellent veins for IVs - but it took her two attempts and both arms to finally get a draw back of blood.  Luckily for me, she is wonderful and it was absolutely pain free :).  After I was settled in my room with IV and gross chemical-water drink, I was cozy under two warm blankets and ready to pass out for the hour.  I turned on the fish (best tv program ever) and began to snooze.

With my experience from living in a hospital, sleep is IMPOSSIBLE unless you are heavily sedated.  I was dozing in and out when I felt the presence of someone at my door.  Tall, dark, and handsome (a new tech) was passing by and spotted me sleeping (it's not everyday they see patients in their 20s AND with hair in that department).  I started to laugh when I saw him, feeling caught watching the fish on tv.  He gave me a hard time for being one of the few patients who can chug down the gross chemical-water (practice makes perfect), then he and his smile was on his way.  

Dozing off again... woke up to find a new tall, dirty blonde, and handsome in his doctor coat entering my room.  It's routine to meet with a doc about my current health, injuries, and anything he should know before reading my tests.  I explained my respiratory annoyance, but I'm pretty sure I left out some details as I became lost in his green eyes and the sweetness of his demeanor.  


After my last attempt to snooze, it was time for me to be scanned in the tube and then on my way to school.  I don't know who or what, but someone was looking over me today, providing me with one of calmest testing mornings I've had in a while :)

No comments:

Post a Comment