Monday, October 15

ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!!!

This time last year my doctor was discussing the possibility that I might have to stay on chemo indefinitely as maintenance for my tumors.  THANK GOODNESS my tumors stopped responding to that treatment and my new, life-saving BV was FDA approved.  Because now my doctor is hugging me as excited as I am that we are finally at the end of this incredibly long road.

Treatment 15 went smooth because after all I've been doing this for TEN MONTHS now and I've got it down :).  The nurses are learning that my veins are petite and are now getting them on the first try (although this last treatment she seemed very nervous that the vein she got was going to blow.  She spoiled me keeping my arm wrapped up with heated blankets to help the pain).  From start to finish I was a rockstar, so excited to make sure everyone knew that the last time was the last time!

Labs where a quick in-and-out as well as waiting for my doc.  I really do love being at the end of the day and flying through the waiting process.  My doctor once again first wanted to hear all about my 30th bash before we got down to business.  So after pictures were passed around the room (which ended up happening a couple times because of course my fellow had to stop by and hear the party details) we chatted like school children so excited that I am almost done with treatment.  My fingers and toes are still numb, but not in pain so she is still very pleased with that.  We scheduled next time's appointment earlier in the afternoon so she can scoot out in time to take her kiddos trick-or-treating.

Treatment goes by so fast these days, it's quite nice.  I'm there for about an hour total and there is always a nurse stopping by for a convo.  There is a lot of laughter around us during treatment, sometimes it's hard to keep it calm for the patients around us.  Although the patient next to me last time was a retired fire chief who was more than loving sharing his old stories with us.  When first arrived at treatment there was a woman receiving a push of Adriamycin (made me want to throw up on the spot remembering my days of that horrible drug) and she was quietly talking with her nurse.  I noticed the nurse was crying from what the patient was telling her.  The patient was soon done and on her way out the door to ring the bell - she just received the great news that her tumors were shrinking.  She left in tears of joy, inspiring the rest of us to keep holding on to our hope.  That nurse later told me and Krissy how thankful she was that I was one of the last patients of the day because it's always good to end the day with good spirits and laughter.

After treatment Krissy and I stopped by Quiznos with some gift cards and pretty much ordered one of everything off of the menu.  I sat on a stool continually adding items to our order as Krissy was ordering sandwich after sandwich to our new bff, the Quiznos sandwich maker.  I looked tired, I wasn't making the most coherent of sentences, and standing without swaying or wobbling was rather challenging.  So Krissy kept me on my stool as she and our new bff took care of our order that could have fed a basketball team.  If you didn't know any better you would have thought that I was drunk with an enormous appetite!  Nope, just some chemo with some very nice pre-drugs :).

The hangover lasted the full 2 days so I spent an extra 3rd in bed - it was very nice!  I did not leave my home for 4 days - craziness!  I did a lot of catching up on my Grey's Anatomy, I made it through 2 more seasons.  Now I am just eager to get through the next 2 weeks and be done FOREVER!!!  It's so close now, I. Can't. Wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment