Thursday, February 2

Fell into a Chemo Slump

Well, I guess that pain from treatment should have been a sign for how the next two days were going to be...  I thought that sleeping off my chemo hangover would be it and I'd bounce back like normal?!  Dammit, why can't this be easier sometimes?

I woke up Thursday in a daze, but still went into work for the afternoon.  Being with the kids is exactly what I needed.  I walked into school during lunch and was greeted with squeals of excitement.  I might not get paid the big bucks, but entering into a room and having every single voice be heard announcing  my arrival is better than any money out there (even if every voice in that room belonged to a body 3ft or under!).  Two of my older girls, who are now catching on that I leave a lot these days, greeted me with "Missa!  You came back!"  I explained to them last spring when I disappeared for a week with my biopsy surgery that even if I leave for a bit, I will always come back.  I've missed a lot of days since then from staying home & hospitalized with infections, so they have had A LOT of opportunities to repeat their favorite phrase, "You came back!"  Now all I have to do is make sure I never let them down on my promise.

Thursday evening I was pooped and found myself once again going straight to bed.  I was sooo looking forward to waking up refreshed and ready to go on Friday.  Whelp, that didn't happen!  I was still in the same daze - nothing hurt, nothing felt bad, I simply just didn't feel right.  I also noticed I was easily on the verge of tears.  I was starting to wonder if I was more mentally drained than physically?  No, by 5pm on Friday I knew for sure - I was 100% physically drained!  Then I found myself in a giant predicament...  Ok, it's really not that dramatic.  I don't do drama.  But one of my besties, Toni, was in town just for the weekend and we made plans for a girls night weeeeks ago.  Everyone was going.  But I just didn't know if I had the stamina to do it.  I was on the fence all day.  If it was any other night, I would be going straight to bed.  But I only see her a few times a year... time to suck it up and be social.  (See, isn't the drama in my life so intense?!  Ha!)

I ran home and had 30 minutes to pull myself together before Sarah came to pick me up.  And I arranged for us to go together because I needed to VENT!  I was exhausted and just needed to complain!  So I hopped in her car and that is exactly what I did - complain.  Sure my body was dragging from chemo, but my mind was also not fully recharged.  My next round of scans will be the first with this new chemo - huge news is to come!  I feel like I need some mental preparation before the results of amazing news or not very good news are back in 13 days (but who's counting, right?).  Venting was so incredibly helpful.  The night only got better from there.  Reuniting with Toni and Paul was absolutely wonderful.  And all the girls were there, taking all worries out of my mind and focusing all of my energy on enjoying the night.  And the night was surely enjoyed!

I was on a high for the rest of the weekend - I somehow instantly snapped out of my chemo slump on Friday night and felt so rejuvenated!  It's amazing what the power of positive thinking can do for a girl.  Oh, and being surrounded by good friends :)  Now all I have to do is fill the next 13 days with Friday nights like that one and I'll be good to go!  Ha!

I'm a bit bummed the chemo hangover lasted longer than I expected, but the mental slump might have been part of the reason to blame!  I'm in SO much better of a place, and I'm even surprising myself how at peace I still am - I'm pretty sure this incredible weather is assisting me with my high spirits!  Hooray for Spring in February! 

No comments:

Post a Comment